Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Adopting a river, or two, or three

Julie and I had the chance to explore some beautiful waters last summer and fall, so we didn’t have to think hard about which segments of river we wanted to adopt for our hands-on clean-up efforts. I’ll share more about those sites later… but I thought I’d take a moment to reiterate how easy it was to get underway.

We just went to the Minnesota DNR web site, and downloaded an interactive PDF. I filled it out, and did a “Save As” to re-title the document with our initials and the date, and then I emailed it to Megan at the DNR, along with a note explaining why we selected the spot. For the WAV program through the Wisconsin DNR and the University of Wisconsin Extension service, I just sent an email to Kris Stepenuck... providing similar information. In both cases, the response was both fast and favorable.

I enjoy helping, and I love being on the river, but I hate paperwork. Thankfully, these folks have made their processes idiot-proof! (I love it when that happens!) I’ll share details of our three sites shortly.

© 2008 Mike D. Anderson, Crystal, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment