After our conference call with Sonya and Katherine at the Ocean Conservancy back in March, they asked whether we’d be willing to provide a written overview of our project. They thought having it might help them explain geotrashing and the rest of our project to people who work on the Ocean Conservancy’s “International Coastal Cleanup” team.
Truth be told, we found their interest a bit gratifying. After all, even though our first major clean-up campaign occurred more than 14 years ago, Julie and I are relative newbies to the cause. Having the interest of an organization like the Ocean Conservancy, in a way, validates some of our work. So we did our best to hastily draft a report. (Perhaps a bit too hastily… please forgive any typos you discover!)
Since then, we have shared copies of the Project Summary with several people familiar with our project. One of those recipients was Kris Stepenuck, coordinator of the WAV program for the University of Wisconsin Extension Service and the Wisconsin DNR. She responded by asking if she could post it at the program’s web site. We agreed… so if you’d like to download a PDF copy of the overview, you can click here. (Warning: It is 8 MB, due to intense use of photography.) The document is designed to be read from the screen, rather than be printed; it provides the reader with a set of links to gain more information about any topic mentioned.
Writing the report was a healthy exercise, because it helped us realize how far we’ve come in a relatively short time. But it was helpful for another reason: While we’ve kept a chronicle of our activities at this blog, the nature of blogging means the reader will read everything backwards… the most recent posting is the first thing you see. Writing a project summary forced us to put everything back into chronological order. (So, “in case you’ve just joined us,” it’s a great way to get caught up on this project!) Click here to open.
© 2008 Mike D. Anderson, Crystal, MN.